Photograph courtesy of Edith Kup and used with permission.

This photo shows from left to right: John Bickerdike, killed in a flying accident July 22, 1940, Patrick Woods-Scawen, killed when his parachute failed to open after bailing out during a dogfight, Sept.1, 1940. (The following day his younger brother - not in photo as he was flying with 43 Squadron - was killed bailing out after being "cornered by Me109s near Folkstone"; he was too low for his parachute to work), James Lockhard, survived the Battle of Britain but was killed in action in 1942, Flight Lieutenant (Flight Commander) Richard "Dicky" Lee, technically MIA but known to have been lost over the North Sea pursuing at German bomber on Aug. 18, 1940, Leonard Jowitt, killed in action July 12, 1940, Flight Lieutenant Bleber, the squadron medical officer, and Ernest Webster, both of whom survived the war. Both Patrick Woods-Scawen and "Dicky" Lee were officially "aces" - i.e. had shot down more than five enemy aircraft.

Edith Kup writes of Dickey Lee: "He was D.S.O. (Distinguished Service Order), D.F.C. (Distinguished Flying Cross), and his score was at least 9 and several others unconfirmed (wreckage not found or observed by others). He was in France before Dunkirk, shot down by flak and taken prisoner, escaped and returned to the squadron. He often flew alone and therefore had difficulty confirming his victories. On the 19th May, the squadron was withdrawn to England. On 18th August he was last seen (and plotted) chasing two Ju88s out to sea and did not return...He had lost his best friend the day before. He was low on fuel and must have crashed into the sea, no wreckage ever found."

Edith goes on to describe the occassion of the photograph. For Life magazine photographers, Dicky Lee flew a demonstration of the Hurricane at Debden's satellite "grass and tented aerodrome," Castle Camps, "used so that 85 was free from bombing and able to do repairs uninterrupted." At the time the photo was taken, Edith writes, "Dicky Lee...was not fully recovered from a wound in his leg and still limped fairly badly, However, he was soon airborne and inverted before one would think possible, and gave an exhibition of flying a Hurricane I have never see surpassed." The date of the photos has to be between May 19 (when the squadron returned from France and July 22, when Bickerdike was killed.)